Quick Note: This is #2 of a 10 tips (in the form of questions) for getting unstuck at work.
How clear are you on what distinguishes you from others within your organization, and on how you are perceived? Wikipedia defines a brand as a name, sign, symbol, slogan or anything that is used to identify and distinguish a specific product, service, or business. We each have a unique “professional brand” that is personified through our behaviors, habits, leadership style, professionalism, presence, responsiveness, ability to play well with others, and general demeanor. These qualities, and many others, make for the over-arching impression that we make upon those with whom we interact. It is, also, how people describe us to others. Have you ever met someone that you felt you already "knew" because of what you'd heard about them? The reality is that your “professional brand” can either make or halt your career progression.
I challenge you to answer the following few questions as candidly as you can:
- How satisfied are you, really (and with no excuses), with how you are showing up from day to day in your professional life?
- If asked, which 3 - 5 words would your colleagues, business partners, and customers use to describe you? If you’re not sure, please take the time to invest in your brand by asking them.
- In which area(s ) of leadership are you least satisfied with how you are performing on a day to day basis?
- How clear are you on your strengths and on the areas of your professional leadership that could use some improvement?
- Which 8 - 10 qualities would you like to be identified by? In other words, what is your ideal image for your <insert your name her> brand?
The extent to which you master the qualities that make for the brand of your choosing will help you to, effectively and strategically, chart your professional path. Conversely, unaddressed weakness in some or all of these areas could be standing in the way of you obtaining the career results that you aspire to.
The bottom line is that we are each crafting our personal and professional brand each day, whether we are aware of it or not. How powerful would it be to know that, own it, and leverage that knowledge as part of our overall strategy for career progression? Not sure of where to start? Contact me to schedule a complimentary coaching session.
I wish you Love, Peace, and great success.
(973) 378-2262 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (973) 378-2262 end_of_the_skype_highlighting office